NHBWA EDUCATIONAL SCHOLARSHIP GUIDELINES
APPLICANTS MUST MEET THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA:
- Be a student residing in Southern California
- Pursue an undergraduate or graduate degree
- In need of educational financial assistance
- Be a student in good standing with at least a 3.0 GPA or higher
- Participate in some form of community service
- Must be at least a college or university Freshman status
- Attending or planning to attend any accredited college or university in the USA
- MUST HAVE A FREE GMAIL ADDRESS OR GOOGLE-BASED UNIVERSITY EMAIL ADDRESS
An application is considered complete only if it is accompanied by the following documents, which must be submitted together with this Guidelines sheet. NHBWA is not responsible for materials lost or misdirected in the mail. DO NOT SEND BY CERTIFIED MAIL.
1.Sign this Educational Scholarship Guideline sheet (where requested on the online form) and Submit ALONG WITH a completed Educational Scholarship Program Application Form.
2.Letters of Recommendation
- Each application shall include two (2) letters of recommendation, which must be attached or sent within the specified time frame. One letter shall be from someone other than a family member who has known you for at least two (2) years and the other letter shall be from someone who has been influential to your success (e.g. faculty member, counselor, employer, minister, etc.)
- Letters must be on an organization letterhead and shall include your name as it appears on this application. In addition, the letters must address the relationship to the applicant, length of time acquainted with applicant, applicant strengths and weaknesses and applicant’s goals. Examples which elaborate on the applicant’s commitment to the community, must also be addressed.
Each essay should be typed and double spaced. Please include the essay prompt and do not exceed two pages.
ESSAY #1: This essay shall be a personal narrative addressing the following: Describe your academic and professional goals, including contributions to your community. Also address, how will the scholarship money assist your educational endeavors.
ESSAY #2: Address one of the following topics (choose one only):
- The importance or value of obtaining a higher education
- The potential impacts or influences of a growing Latino population in relation to your field of interest
- The specific challenges faced by Latinas in pursuit of higher education
4.Copy of one of the following:
Financial Aid Notification Letter • Parents (or Self) 2018 or, 2019 Income Tax Return • Student Aid Report
5.Official College/University Transcript(s) – must be included with all application materials and no copies allowed.
Finalists will be selected based upon review of submitted documents. PLEASE DO NOT SEND BY CERTIFIED MAIL.
Final recipient(s) must be available to attend NHBWA Awards Luncheon on May 21, 2020 for acceptance of scholarship.
Please submit online by Monday, 3/23/20 at 5 p.m., the completed Application form and all supporting documents.